This is a creamy chicken dish which tastes like it took a lot longer than 20 minutes to cook! Your Box Local recipe pack will come with all the below ingredients, but to cook it yourself check out the hints below. Apologies for the photo – it was my dinner and I couldn’t wait to eat it so it was a little rushed 🙂
Recipe serves 2
- 300g free range chicken breast pieces
- ½ a white onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 125g asparagus, woody ends removed
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 120ml chicken stock (½ stock pot)
- 1 tbsp creme fraiche
- 300g new potatoes (halved if large)
- Cover the potatoes with boiling water and simmer for 8-10 minutes until just cooked. Drain and leave with lid on while you cook the chicken.
- Add some oil to the pan and fry the chicken breast without stirring for a minute or two to add some colour.
- Stir the chicken and add the onion and garlic. Fry for a further minute
- Add chicken stock and tarragon and bubble gently for 5 minutes.
- Add asparagus and combine all the ingredients. Put the lid on and simmer for a further 3 minutes.
- Stir through creme fraiche and bring briefly back to the boil.
Hints & Tips
I use dried tarragon as it’s not in season, which is included in the recipe package. If you are making yourself however, tarragon really does lose flavour when its been open a while, so if you have to blow the dust off your jar, you might need a bit more than the recipe! Of course you can use fresh if you can find it. You can use boneless thighs instead of breast meat for the dish. Add 5 minutes (lid on) to the simmer time before putting the asparagus in if you use thigh.
Broccoli is a great substitute for asparagus in this recipe when asparagus isn’t in season (which sadly is most of the year!)
Box Local – the local produce delivery service for St Albans. Bringing the farm shop to your door