Recipe serves 2
- 150g pearled barley
- 3 -4 small beetroot
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100ml veg stock (1/2 veg pot)
- 2 small carrots, peeled & grated
- Large handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 110g feta style cheese goats cheese roughly cubed/crumbled
Preheat over to 200°c
- Rub the beetroot in a little oil and roast whole on a baking sheet for 35-45 minutes until soft.
- Add the barley to a pan of boiling water and cook for 35 minutes until tender but still a little chewy
- Fry the leek in a little oil and butter for 3-4 minutes until soft, add the garlic and thyme and fry for a further 2 minutes
- Add the stock and simmer for 5 minutes
- Drain your barley and add to the leek /stock mixture.
- Rub off the beetroot skins using kitchen paper, chop and add to the barley mix with raw carrot, parsley and cheese. Season and serve warm.